Summer holiday in Bad Hofgastein
Discover unspoilt nature whilst hiking, mountain biking etc. in the Gastein Valley
Do you know that feeling of elation when at the peak you have the whole valley at your feet? Breathing in the clear mountain air, dipping your arms in the refreshing mountain streams and simply enjoying unspoilt nature to the full? Summer holiday in Gastein is a holiday amid nature in the heart of the Hohe Tauern: exciting, full of relish and simply beautiful. The breathtaking Gastein mountain world offers a summer holiday to suit every taste: well-signposted hiking paths, climbing trails, family-friendly cycle paths or demanding mountain bike trails, jogging & nordic walking routes, ideal for trail running too, easily accessible excursion destinations and rustic alpine huts, serving regional specialities. You'll find relaxation in addition to the Alpentherme Gastein and the Felsentherme swimming in the Gastein bathing lake or in the Solarbad in Dorfgastein. Paragliding hang-gliding, archery, golf or horse-riding are also among the activities available the Gastein Valley in Salzburger Land.
Hiking, mountaineering & climbing
- Well-signposted and varied footpaths and mountain trails in the Hohe Tauern area
- Hiking region awarded the Austrian Hiking Seal of Approval
- 600 km marked footpaths with routes for all ability levels
- Almorama Mountain Experience – up on the cable car to the peaks of 4 different mountains:
- Lovely circular trail with panoramic views, large adventure area for children on the Schlossalm in Bad Hofgastein
- Spiegelsee (mirror lake), forest playground, nature trails, energy spots & panoramic trails on the Fulseck in Dorfgastein
- Suspension bridge & viewing platform with great panoramic views on the Stubnerkogel in Bad Gastein
- Swiss pine hiking trail & the natural gem Reedsee Lake on the Graukogel in Bad Gastein
- Gastein Trail with 6 daily stages through the Gasteiner Valley: a total of 75 km & 4.643 Hm
- Along the Salzburger Almenweg Trail through the Gastein alpine landscape
- Various trail running routes in the Gastein Valley. Venue for the adidas INFINITE TRAILS – Trailrunning World Championships
- Climbing possibilities: 6 different climbing trails in varying levels of difficulty on the Schlossalm, Practice climbing park in the resort centre of Bad Gastein, climbing rock in the district of Klammstein near Dorfgastein
- Climbing tours with mountain guides incl. equipment bookable at the Alpinschule Angerer
- More than 60 alpine huts & mountain restaurants amid the impressive Gastein mountain world
- A number of mountain walks & alpine huts are also suitable for families with children
- Hiking tours to the alpine huts (approx. 40 mins. walking time) & mountain peaks start right at the Biohof Maurachgut, qualified hiking guide & mountain expert as contact person on site
Mountain biking & e-biking
- Marked mountain bike, e-bike & cycle routes for all ability levels
- Mountain bike paradise: tours with fabulous panoramic views e.g. mountain bike route to the peak of the Stubnerkogels for experienced bikers
- Mountain bike training & guiding possibilities
- Gentle cycling along the family-friendly Gastein Valley cycle path
- Relaxing biking with e-bikes, rental in the Gastein Valley possible
- Cycle transport on the Fulseck & Stubnerkogel cable car possible
- Bike guides & rental of mountain bikes, e-bikes and cycles in the resorts in the Gastein Valley
If we go through life with our eyes open,
every day will be a special experience.
Ball sports & swimming
- Golf Club Gastein with 18-hole course with fabulous views of the Hohe Tauern, club house
- Lessons for beginners to experienced in the Golf School in Bad Hofgastein
- A total of 36 tennis courts (30 outdoor & 6 indoor courts), tennis lessons available in the local tennis schools
- Golf fun for the whole family: crazy golf course in Bad Hofgastein & Bad Gastein
- Football pitch
- Gastein bathing lake with excellent water quality between Wasserqualität Bad Hofgastein & Bad Gastein, up to 4 m deep & 2.3 ha water area
- Alpentherme Gastein in Bad Hofgastein: thermal spa with unique thermal spa water bathing lakes (without chlorine), indoor & outdoor pools, sports pool, spacious sauna area, 4-lane wave slide & indoor family area with toddlers' pool, sunbathing area...
- Felsentherme in Bad Gastein: Thermal spa with indoor & outdoor swimming pools, sauna area,
- Solarbad in Dorfgastein: outdoor pool with warm water, gymnastic, sport & toddlers' pools, 2 water slides, sunbathing lawn...
Further activities in Gastein
- Riding lessons in the Riding Club Gastein in Bad Gastein, Island horse farm in Bad Hofgastein (just 1 km away from the Maurachgut Farm), riding lessons in Dorfgastein
- Romantic horse-drawn sleigh rides through the resort
- Nature experience in the adventure playground in Dorfgastein, further playgrounds in Bad Hofgastein & Bad Gastein
- Archery course in Angertal (Bad Hofgastein), in Bad Gastein & in Dorfgastein
- Fly-fishing in the Kötschachtaler Ache, Fuxfarm pond, Paarseen Lakes
- Various trail running routes in the Gastein Valley
- Yoga in Gastein: a number of events in the region
- Action sports: tandem paragliding, monster scooters, mountain go-karts, rafting, segway... available at the outdoor activity centres
- Flying Waters: flying fox over the Bad Gastein watefall & historic resort
- Herb courses & hikes, gold washing etc.
Advantage cards on your holiday
- Free Gastein Card: take advantage of our guest card offering discounts of up to 50 percent or free admission. You receive your Gastein Card on arrival at the Maurachgut.
- Mountain & Spa Card: with the mountain & spa card you can use up to 8 attractions (spas and cable cars) free of charge daily – ideal for hikers and spa enthusiasts.